Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ah so, Ah so, Johnny Bunko


From the mind of the man who brought you A Whole New Mind comes Johnny Bunko. And if you're a stiff stuck in a work-a-day world you just can seem to get out of, then Bunko's your boy.

Daniel Pink, whose book A Whole New Mind ought to be a must-read for anybody in education, regardless of level, has again hit the ground running with a terrific idea that's being sold as the What Color is Your Parachute for the naught decade's latter half. While I've not read it (it just hit the stores last week), I've read of it on Pink's Website, and if it's as forward thinking as it appears to be, Bunko could live up to all the hype. There's even a video:

If I get around to it, I'll write more about this book, but in the meantime, if you've not read A Whole New Mind, I can't recommend it enough. I know schools around the nation that have read it or had their administrators read it, and I've recommended it to the members of my own department.

There's a Hebrew quotation I live by as a teacher, something I encountered in my very first year: "Do not condemn your children to your own mode of learning, for they were born in a different world." Both of these books, but especially Mind, will open your eyes to the potential of treating your children/students differently, but more importantly, to the powerful impact of thinking differently about yourself and the way you think. It could, if recent neuroscience is correct, stop you from losing your mind, literally.

No comments: